Monday, March 19, 2012

The Power of Zero

Alexander used to say this thing when he was mad, and it really annoyed Michiel and me. Well, probably me more than Michiel. So, here's the scenario:

I would ask Alexander a question (usually trying to get him to do something) like, "Do you want to get dressed first or brush your teeth first?"

He would fix me with an angry stare and say, "Nothing."

Of course, the defiance was one thing, but the completely nonsensical response to my question was what really gets my dander up.

"Hey, Alexander, do you want to go to the park today?"

"Nothing."

I knew he meant no, but it doesn't make grammatical sense!!!!

Lately, though, he's put a new spin on the "nothing tactic." I think it came about a few months ago when he really started getting into numbers and using his abacus and all that, when some larger mathematical concepts started clicking into place.

Instead of saying, "Nothing," he started saying, "Zero," with all the venom he could muster.

Somehow, him upping the ante in such a geeky way bumped our little confrontation into the realm of the ridiculous. Now I find myself delighted by it.

Sometimes, when he asks me a question, I give him a sly smile and reply, "Infinity."


No comments:

Post a Comment