Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Things That Come Out of That Boy's Mouth


Sometimes the things Alexander says amaze me. And then I realize that he got them directly from me.

The other day he said to Michiel, "Papa, I'm dissappointed in you." No big secret where he got that from.

But other things are not so obvious. For a while now we've been trying to get him to ask nicely for the things he wants because he has this habit of saying, "You have to come play with me," or "Now you have to come with me." Or everybody's favorite: "You have to give me dessert."

I finally realized that he got this turn of phrase directly from me, but it sounds so different when he says it. I say things like, "If you want to come with me on a walk, you have to get your shoes on," or "You have to pet the dog nicely," or "You have to pour slowly or you'll spill."

He's taken my words and turned them against me. I guess that's what kids are supposed to do. Now I have to break myself of the habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment