Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Saying Grandpa


I don't really know how you determine what a child's first word is. Annabel is always chattering, saying, "Ma ma ma ma," or, "Ba ba ba ba," or, "Da da da da," or, "Glinfdjkalie."

Michiel and I still differ on what Alexander's first word was. He says it was "truck." I say, "ball." We agree that "mama" came later.
Annabel says, "ma ma ma ma," in a sort of whiny drone when she wants me, and I guess that means she's said "mama." But the other day she said something much more clearly.

We were over at my parent's house, and Annabel was standing at the coffee table, like she does.

Dad said, "What do you have to say for yourself, little girl?"

I said, "Say grandpa."

She swung her head around to look at him and said, "Gam-pa," just as if she'd been practicing in secret. It was so clear.

I don't know if it qualifies as her first word, but it was the first time I have been positive that she meant exactly what she said.


No comments:

Post a Comment