Friday, December 17, 2010

Alexander's Religious Education

One of Alexander's friends recently lost her grandmother.

Here's a conversation we had on the way home from school:

"Where's Cedra?"
"She's probably at school or has already been picked up."
"Oh, yeah. She's been picked up. Her grandma picked her up."
"Did she?"
"Oh, no. Her grandma's dead."
"Did Cedra tell you that?"
"Yeah." Pause. "She was nailed."
"She was what?"
"Nailed."
"Nailed?"
"Nailed!" Getting impatient with me. "With the cross thing!"
"Where was she nailed?"
"With the wood cross."
"I mean, where on her body?"
"I don't know. I think right here in her belly."
"Sweatheart, are you thinking of Jesus?"
"Yeah, Jesus--that guy."
"I don't think Gretchen was nailed."
"No. She's dead, but she's going to come back."
"Well, when people die, they stay dead. They don't come back."
"Except Jesus."
"Where did you hear about Jesus? Was someone at school telling you about him?"
"No. I just know."

No comments:

Post a Comment