Friday, November 5, 2010

Getting THE QUESTION


Yup, he asked it. The question.

"How does the baby get in the mommy's belly?"

Really? Already? He's not supposed to ask that for another few years.

While Michiel discreetly walked away, I yammered something about how when a mommy and daddy love each other alot they decide to make a baby and then the baby grows in the mommy's belly.

Great, right? Quick thinking. Skip over the difficult bits.

Nothing doing. Alexander was not deterred. "No, what I mean is: How does the baby get IN the mommy's belly?"

So, what did I do? I panicked, of course. I laughed and promptly changed the subject.

The next day, he brought it up again at lunch, apropos of nothing. "But I was really wondering how the baby gets inside the mommy's belly."

I swear, there is no distracting this boy! But this time, I was better prepared. I told him about the egg and the sperm and the egg getting fertilized. I drew comparisons to the animal kingdom. All the while Alexander chewed and nodded thoughtfully. I hoped this would be enough for him, especially since he probably didn't understand all of it.

At the end he said, "Okay. Can I have a toetje (dessert) now?"

No comments:

Post a Comment