Monday, April 11, 2011

Mystery Reader

Last week I was the "mystery reader" in Alexander's classroom. The kids don't know who's coming to read stories to them and then - surprise! - one of their parents shows up.

I decided to ham up the "mystery" bit. I wore sunglasses and a long black cloak with a hood. I spoke with a funny accent. I swept into the classroom with my bag full of books, and all the kids looked up at me, wide-eyed and blinking...

...including my own son!

He peered up at me. He looked me up and down. Then he pointed to my bag.

"Hey," he said, "We have a bag just like that one at my house!"

I played it up for a little while longer. Most of the other kids didn't recognize me either. Some hung back, watching me from the periphery, waiting to
see what this mystery-person would do.

Finally, I flung back the hood and took off the sunglasses. The kids gaped.

Alexander laughed and grabbed his head, saying, "I thought you were Rowan's mama."

After that, it was a pretty normal story-time. But I gotta say, it is great fun fooling kids. They are so easily delighted!

No comments:

Post a Comment